We all want to save money, and it’s often not just about the money itself. What we often love is the idea that we have scored a bargain or gotten a great deal others may not be privy to. It brings out our competitive spirit, our will to survive and thrive in our modern day society.
Some households may clip coupons or join shopping clubs while others will spend the time trawling through eBay or waiting for clearances and sample sales. Meanwhile, collective buying sites are gaining popularity in Australia, with individuals signing up for daily deals offered by small businesses in their cities. So how do you shop smart?
How to shop smart online
The internet has transformed the way we shop. No longer do we have to go into the store and speak to a salesperson to find out the information about the latest releases or what’s coming up in the market. With so much research at our fingertips, here are some of the ways you can shop smart online:
- Research the market – sometimes it’s important to know what’s happening in the market before you buy. Many iPad owners recently put their first generation iPads up for sale on eBay for $500 used when the newest iPad 2 was announced to be released at the same price. Unknowing buyers still bought the used machines because they were cheaper than the current retail prices.
- Ask for a price match - meanwhile, many stores also have a price match policy so you may still be able to get the better price at your preferred retailer if you ask. Find out the prices of likely competitors online and take screenshots of the webpages.
- Consider collective buying sites – sites like Groupon in the US have received a lot of press as of late, especially with their recent rejection of a $6 billion offer from Google.
- Look out for exclusive deals in communities – Facebook, Twitter and other social media channels are ripe with exclusive offers and deals for those who Follow or Like. For brands and retailers that you like, it’s worth keeping an eye on these types of announcements and snap up these exclusive offerings.
- Visit comparison sites – let others do the research for you. Online Comparison Shopping in Australia is popular on sites like www.comparison.com.au, making it easy to compare the latest new releases across a number of brands. These sites let you understand the difference between various models and the exact features you need to decide which product is right for you.
How do you shop smart online?